Healthy Living Initiatives
Embracing a Culture of Health
Research confirms that low-income and minority individuals experience higher rates of diabetes, heart disease and obesity. As an affordable housing nonprofit serving this population, we are committed to improving the well-being of our residents by providing health programming right where they live and eliminating the barriers of transportation, cost and childcare.
Our Healthy Living Initiatives serve our residents and neighbors.
All of our classes are free and open to the public. In most cases, childcare is provided.
Click here to view the December calendar of activities.
Bianca Enriquez, Health Initiatives Manager
We promote health activities in the following three areas:
- Strength and circuit training
- Walking groups
- Running clubs
- Tai Chi
- Running Buddies program for students
- Healthy food pantries with fresh produce
- Healthy cooking classes
- Nutrition classes
- Supermarket crawls
- Free healthy food deliveries
- Community gardens
- Chronic disease prevention and management
- Diabetes classes
- Health screenings (blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol, vision, hearing, mammograms, colorectal)
- Stress management classes
- Women and family health classes
- Adult/child immunizations and flu shots
- Smoking cessation classes
- Violence prevention programs
- Health fairs
Laura left an abusive marriage and went through the process of a relocation program before she and her daughter found a home with us at Foundation Communities. In addition to having a beautiful, affordable home, Laura is motivated to become healthier because of the free fitness (especially Zumba!) and nutrition classes offered on-site at her community. The classes help Laura increase her energy and stay focused on her goals.
“I am grateful that an organization, like Foundation Communities, exists and cares about our well-being. As a resident and follower of your programs, my daughter and I are living proof that they work. We are healthier because of your dedication!”