Prosper Centers

Prosper Tax Help

Prosper Tax Help is a free service available to individuals who make less than $60,000/year and households of 2-4 that make less than $85,000/year. Income limit increases by $5,000 for each additional family member.

Our IRS-certified tax preparers provide free tax filing to thousands of community members each year, helping them get the maximum tax refund. We also help file prior year tax returns, respond to IRS letters, and complete ITIN applications.

If you are not eligible for our services, a list of other local tax preparation resources is available here. 

Prosper Tax Help will be open January 22nd to April 15, 2024 for tax preparation services. Appointments are now open. 

> Click here to view the flyer for our Austin & Round Rock tax sites.
> Click here to view the flyer for our 4 new Williamson County tax sites.

Auto-translation into other languages is available in settings.

Schedule an Appointment

Schedule your appointment with Prosper Tax Help below! The calendar displays available appointments for up to 30 days into the future. Please note that Cepeda Branch is no longer accepting appointments and Round Rock Public Library has limited scheduling with openings on select Saturdays only.


Prosper Center North
5900 Airport Blvd
Austin, TX  78752
Bus Routes: 7, 337, 350
Prosper Center South
2900 S I-35 Frontage Rd
Austin, TX  78704
Bus Route: 300

Wells Branch Recreation Center
3000 Shoreline Dr
Austin, TX 78728

Round Rock Public Library
200 E Liberty Ave
Round Rock, TX 78664

ACCelerator at ACC Highland
6101 Highland Campus Dr
Austin, TX 78752
Bus Routes: 7, 324, 337, 350, MetroRail: 550

Southeast Health and Wellness Center
2901 Montopolis Dr
Austin, TX 78741
Bus Routes: 311, 228

Operation Liberty Hill
1401 N US-183 Hwy
Leander, TX 78641

St. John Vianney Catholic Church, Bosco House
3201 Sunrise Rd
Round Rock, TX 78665

Hutto Public Library
500 W Live Oak St
Hutto, TX 78634

Taylor Public Library
801 Vance St
Taylor, TX 76574

Tax Help Services

Peak Tax Season: January through April
  • Income Tax Returns
  • Applying for and renewing ITINs
  • Tax returns from prior years
  • Tax Amendments
  • Responses from the IRS
Off Season: June through October
  • Income Tax Returns
  • Applying for and renewing ITINs
  • Tax returns from prior years
  • Tax Amendments
  • Responses from the IRS
Closed/Out of Season
  • Use our inquiry form for specific questions. We may still be able to assist you.

Can’t visit us in-person?

E-file online using MyFreeTaxes.com! If you feel comfortable preparing your own taxes, MyFreeTaxes is a free filing option for those who earn less than $79,000 a year. MyFreeTaxes guarantees 100% accurate returns with the maximum refund, and top of the line security. Visit MyFreeTaxes.com and select “File My Own Taxes” to self-file.


Q1: Can I still claim any of the Economic Impact Payments (i.e. stimulus payments) or the increased Child Tax Credit?
A: Yes, we can help you file a tax return and claim any tax credits you are eligible for and did not already receive.
Q2: I didn't file my taxes last year or in the last couple of years. Can you help me file for this year and also for the last couple of years?
A: Yes! We can file for current and prior tax years. Please book a separate tax appointment for each tax year you need prepared.
Q3: I was paid in cash and/or digital payments. Do I need to file my taxes?
A: Yes, income you receive must be reported on a tax return, even if received in cash or via digital payments. Please schedule a tax preparation appointment and bring all documents and information about payments you received. We will help you correctly report your income on a tax return. Please note: the Tax Help program cannot prepare tax returns with cryptocurrency transactions, whether that be sales of cryptocurrency or income received in the form of digital payments. In these cases, please refer to this list of other options for tax return preparation.
Q4: Which Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) have expired and need to be renewed?
A. These ITINs must be renewed:

  • ITINs with middle digits 70 to 88 that have not already been renewed
  • ITINs with middle digits 90-99 that were issued before 2013 and have not already been renewed
  • ITINs not used at least once on a tax return in the past three tax years (e.g. 2019, 2020, and 2021)
Q5: I want to apply for an ITIN. How do I go about doing this?
A. ITINs are issued to eligible individuals as part of the tax filing process. The first step is to schedule a tax preparation appointment at any tax center location. At the conclusion of the appointment, an internal referral is submitted. The taxpayer receives a phone call within one week to schedule an appointment at Prosper Center North or Prosper Center South to prepare and submit the ITIN paperwork with the tax return.
Q6: I got a letter from the IRS that I don't understand. Can you help with that?
A. Yes! Please schedule a tax preparation appointment and bring with you the IRS letter and a copy of the tax return referenced in the IRS letter (if applicable), as well as all tax paperwork you have available from that tax year. We will review the IRS letter with you and help you respond, provided it is within the scope of our services.
Q7: I think I made a mistake on my tax return. Can you help with that?
A. Yes! Please schedule a tax preparation appointment and bring with you a copy of the tax return filed, all tax paperwork you have available from when you filed, and any information and/or documentation about the mistake you made. We will review your tax situation and help you file an amended tax return, provided it is within the scope of our services.
Q8: My dependent is now in college or working. Can I still claim them as a dependent?
A. You may be able to claim a dependent who is in college or working; this is based on several factors. We can make this determination if you bring with you to your appointment the person’s Social Security card or ITIN letter and other information like their age, their total income for the year, and the sources of their support during the year. If the person is taking college classes, please also bring their school login credentials or their Form 1098-T and the account summary for each semester of the tax year.
Q9: I'm a dependent on my parent’s/parents’ tax return but I worked last year. Do I need to file a tax return?
A. You may need to file a tax return. If you don’t have a filing requirement, it may still be beneficial to file a tax return to get a refund of any federal income taxes withheld from your paychecks during the year. We recommend you make a tax appointment with your parent(s) so we can review your paperwork together and make a determination of whether you must or should file.
Q10: I did my taxes elsewhere. Can you review them to see if they are correct?
A. We can provide a very general review and summary of a tax return that was already filed. To know for sure if it was filed correctly, we can prepare the tax return in our software and compare it to the return that was already filed. We can then review any mistakes with you and prepare an amendment to correct them.
Q11: How can I order an IRS transcript?
A. Check out these resources for tax return transcripts: English transcript guide or Spanish transcript guide.
Q12: What should I bring to my tax preparation appointment?
A. Please bring the following:

  • Valid photo identification for you (and your spouse if filing jointly) and Social Security cards or ITIN letters for everyone on the tax return.
  • Tax documents, such as W-2s and 1099s, a list of cash or checks received as income, and Social Security, retirement, and unemployment benefits.
  • Documentation for expenses you paid during the year, such as child care, business expenses and miles driven for those who are self-employed, tuition and/or book costs for college classes, student loan interest paid, etc.
  • If you own a home or are itemizing, bring documentation for your mortgage interest, property taxes, charitable donations, and receipts for out-of-pocket medical expenses you paid.
  • Bank information (including routing and account number), if you would like to receive a direct deposit of a refund or pay a balance due by direct debit.
  • A copy of the prior year’s tax return, if you have it.

For a more comprehensive checklist, click here.

Q13: What other free resources are available for taxpayers experiencing a tax issue?
A. Here are two additional, free resources:

  • If you are having tax problems and have not been able to resolve them with the IRS, Taxpayer Advocate Service may be able to help. Call 877-777-4778 and ask to speak with an intake advocate.
  • If you need assistance navigating an IRS audit or exam, stopping a tax lien or levy, settling a tax debt, or resolving another tax issue, Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid (TRLA) may be able to help. Call the intake line at 888-988-9996.
Q14: I’ve heard about the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). How can I know if I’m eligible?
A. The EITC is a refundable federal income tax credit for low-to-moderate income working individuals and families. When EITC exceeds the amount of taxes owed, it results in a tax refund to those who claim and qualify for the credit. Your eligibility for the EITC, and the amount you receive, will be automatically determined as part of the tax preparation process.

Interested in Volunteering?

Prosper Tax Help is searching for dedicated volunteers to join our team and help bring over $30 million in tax refunds back to the community during the 2024 tax season. This season, we’ll need over 600 volunteers to provide essential tax preparation services. No prior experience is required to volunteer, and we will provide all of the training and support you need. Click here for more information.


Client Counts on Prosper Centers for Taxes done the right way

Ana says the location of Foundation Communities’ Prosper Center North is very convenient for her. But, that’s not the real reason why she has been going there for the past five years to complete and file her tax return. Read the full blog

Five Reasons to File Your Taxes with Prosper Tax Help!

Don’t stress this tax season. Foundation Communities can help you maximize your refund free of charge! Why should you file with Foundation Communities this year? Here are the top five […]


Outreach Events Calendar

Find us on Social Media!

Contact Us

To contact the Prosper Tax Help team with any questions, call 737-717-4000 or submit the inquiry form below. We will reach out as soon as possible.

  • What can we help you with? Please also let us know when the best time is to contact you. / ¿Cómo podriamos ayudar? Por favor dejar saber a qué hora es mejor para comunicarnos con usted.

For inquiries about outreach, please reach out to outreach@foundcom.org

Meet Our Staff

Janet Herrgesell, Tax Program Manager
Leti Valadez, Supervising Site Manager
Bryan Saenz, Supervising Site Manager
Andy Liebler, Drop Off Program Manager
Gabriela Mordi, Senior Project Manager